I may be working like crazy these days, but that doesn’t keep me out of the kitchen! As long as I have my crock pot, dinner will still be homemade, and on the table. Whether I am actually there or not!
This recipe for Slow-Cooker Creamy Chicken with Biscuits was featured in Real Simple magazine a few months ago. It is similar to chicken pot pie, the perfect ending to a fall day. Milk or half and half can be substituted for the heavy cream. I have also used frozen chicken breast, and they did defrost and cook completely in the crock pot. Can dinner be any easier?
Naturally Cassie’s version of Real Simple’s Slow-Cooker Cremay Chicken with Biscuits
serves about 3-4
add more chicken to increase the servings
- 4 carrots, cut into 1-inch lengths
- 2 stalks celery, thinly sliced
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 pieces of chicken breast
- black pepper
- 1 cup low-sodium chicken or vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup dry white wine (or use an additional 1/2 cup of broth)
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1/2 cup heavy cream, 1/2 and 1/2, or milk
- In a crock pot, combined the carrots, celery, onion, and flour. Place the chicken on top and season with the poultry seasoning, and ¼ teaspoon pepper. Pour in the wine and broth.
- Cover and cook until the chicken and vegetables are tender, on low for 5 to 6 hours or on high for 2 1⁄2 to 3 hours.
- Thirty minutes before serving, prepare Real Simple’s Easy Drop Biscuits (if using). You can also serve this with regular bread, or over brown rice.
- Ten minutes before serving, add the peas, and cream or milk, and stir. Cover and cook until heated through, 5 to 10 minutes more.
- To serve, place biscuits, bread, or rice in shallow bowls, then top with the chicken mixture.